- Chavez has pleaded not guilty to three felony gun possession charges
- Telemundo is reporting that his wife has expedited divorce proceedings
- DailyMail.com provides all the latest international sports news
Troubled boxer Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. was all smiles as he was released from a Los Angeles jail on $50,000 bail four days after the 37-year-old former middleweight champion was arrested for allegedly being in unlawful possession of two AR-style ghost rifles.
‘I’m good’ he told photographers in Spanish as he walked out of the Valley Jail Section in Van Nuys on Thursday night wearing a multi-colored fleece. ‘I’m good and ready for what is to come.”
Chavez has pleaded not guilty to three felony gun possession charges, while agreeing to enter a residential treatment program in LA. TMZ was the first to report the arrest, explaining that police found a ‘ghost gun’ without any serial number in his possession.
‘We posted bail and Mr. Chavez will be released at some point today and will spend some time at a program working through some personal issues,’ attorney Guadalupe Valencia told the LA Times prior to his release. ‘In the meantime, Julio remains in good spirits and his family appreciate the outpouring of support and encouragement.’
Police were called Sunday afternoon by an unidentified person claiming that Chavez was in possession of a gun and the witness was concerned that the boxer could hurt himself or others.
Troubled boxer Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. was all smiles as he was released from a Los Angeles jail on $50,000 bail four days after his arrest for allegedly possessing an untraceable ghost gun
Chavez, 37, has not fought professionally since 2021 and has faded from public life
Chavez has no previous firearm history, according to the LA Times.
However, he was arrested in 2012 for drunk driving and has been suspended several times over the course of his career for using banned substances, including a diuretic and marijuana.
Telemundo is reporting that Chavez’s wife Frida Munoz attempted to expedite divorce proceedings while he was detained this week. The pair previously split in 2021 before reportedly reuniting and then re-entering the divorce process in 2023.
Possibly referencing those divorce proceedings, Chavez told photographers on Thursday that ‘everything happens for a reason.
It’s unclear what personal issues Chavez is dealing with, but Valencia told ESPN that he hopes his client receives professional help.
Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. and his father (right) are seen after his 2011 win over Sebastian Zbik
‘We as his legal team, as well as his father and other family members, care deeply for him,’ Valencia said. ‘We, including the court, want him to receive professional help. Julio is a tremendous person and now is his moment to work on himself, so that he can rejoin his children in the next chapter of his life.
‘We appreciate the support that he has received, and we will continue to keep the press informed. We just received the reports that are part of the investigation that led to his arrest. We will review the information shortly.’
Chavez (53-6-1, 34 KOs) has not fought since 2021 and has just three wins in his last seven fights. He was also upset by UFC legend Anderson Silva in June of 2021, giving a strong indication that the younger Chavez was no longer a major competitor in the ring.
His father is, perhaps, the biggest name in Mexico’s proud boxing tradition, going 107-6-2 between 1980 and 2005 and famously winning his first 87 pro bouts.