- Eddie Hearn has called for a fight between Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua
- Frank Warren believes a fight between Fury and Joshua won’t happen next year
- Listen to Mail Sport’s new boxing podcast THE HOOK – with exclusive interviews
A domestic dust-up between the pair has been discussed for several years in a fight many consider to be one of the biggest that boxing has to offer.
Fury edged past Francis Ngannou in their huge crossover clash last Saturday in Saudi Arabia, but was knocked down in the third round by the boxing novice and failed to impress throughout the 10-round bout.
Fury had been expected to cruise past Ngannou before facing Oleksandr Usyk in an undisputed fight on December 23.
However, after Fury was pushed all the way by Ngannou, with some fans believing the former UFC heavyweight champion was ‘robbed’ by the judges, Eddie Hearn called for the Usyk fight to be scrapped so that the ‘Gypsy King’ could take on Joshua instead.
Tyson Fury had to climb off the canvas to beat Francis Ngannou in Saudi Arabia
Frank Warren (right) insists Fury will not be fighting Joshua in 2024, despite Hearn (left) calling for the domestic clash to finally be made
Warren feels Joshua is ‘at the back of a long queue’ of contenders to fight Fury
‘Forget Fury vs Usyk, no-one is interested. Just give us Fury against AJ. AJ will knock Tyson Fury out inside six rounds. Make the fight, otherwise we’ll never get it,’ he told Matchroom’s YouTube channel.
Despite Hearn’s plea for Fury and Joshua to finally meet in the ring, Warren is adamant that his fighter will honour his commitment to face Usyk next.
The Hall of Fame boxing promoter insists Joshua has turned down offers in the past, and is now out of the title picture.
When asked if Fury will fight Joshua in 2024, Warren told Mail Sport: ‘No.
‘He (Joshua) didn’t want to fight him last December. We made the offer. So you know where he is now. He’s at the back of that long queue,’ Warren continued.
‘They were not interested in fighting for a world title having fought twice against Usyk and been beaten twice. He didn’t want to fight for a world title, otherwise he would have taken that opportunity when it was offered to him.’
Fury surprisingly struggled against Ngannou and only narrowly avoided a major upset
Warren is adamant Fury’s undisputed clash with Oleksandr Usyk will still go ahead next
Joshua has picked up two wins in 2023 as he looks to get his career back on track after consecutive defeats to Usyk.
The former two-time world champion looks to be trying to position himself for a future fight with Fury, but Warren has pointed out that potential rematches with Usyk and Ngannou mean Joshua will not be considered as an opponent any time soon.
Responding to whether a fight between Fury and Joshua had moved any closer following the former’s unconvincing display against Ngannou, Warren replied: ‘How can it be? How many fights is Tyson going to have in one year?
‘He’s got the unification, see what happens after that, you’re talking about rematches, there’s four fights before we start.’
After years of back and forth between both camps, fans are now starting to wonder whether we will ever get to see Fury and Joshua settle their differences inside the ring.
Warren admits that he is also unsure whether the mouthwatering match-up will ever be given the green light, but is content that he has done everything possible to make it happen.
Warren has accused Joshua and his team of turning down offers in the past to fight Fury, and feels the former champion won’t be getting another title shot any time soon
He feels the blame will lie squarely on the shoulders of Joshua’s team if the fight fails to materialise.
‘Who knows, we’ll see what happens,’ Warren said after being quizzed on whether the fight will happen before both men hang up their gloves.
‘Joshua, at the moment, has got his nose up against the window looking in.
‘There’ll be no regret on our part because we made the offers for the fight to happen. The ones who didn’t want that to happen was him and his connections.’