EXCLUSIVE: Formal appeal is lodged against the ruling that cleared Conor Benn to return to the ring after two positive drugs tests
- Both UK Anti-Doping and the British Boxing Board of Control have appealed
- Benn has denied any wrongdoing but had faced a two-year ban from the sport
- Mail Sport understands that the appeal process could take around two months
Multiple sources have told Mail Sport that both UK Anti-Doping and the British Boxing Board of Control have triggered their right to contest the decision of the independent National Anti-Doping Panel.
Benn had been facing a potential two-year ban from the sport, but seemingly scored a key victory in July when the NADP found in his favour.
While the grounds of that decision have not been made public, Mail Sport understands that the NADP hearing did not include an examination of the science behind how clomifene was twice found in the fighter’s system in 2022.
Benn’s team have argued amid the confusion the ruling was not jurisdictional, but that is at odds with sources who claim it focused heavily on UKAD’s inability to rule on samples collected by the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association.
Conor Benn faces an appeal against ruling that allowed him to return to the ring
Benn had faced a two-year ban from boxing but following the ruling UKAD lifted his suspension
The boxer posted a message on Instagram once news of the UKAD appeal emerged
As a consequence of the ruling, UKAD announced last month they were lifting Benn’s temporary suspension.
Now that they have appealed, it is unclear whether Benn will proceed with plans to fight prior to a definitive outcome. Mail Sport understands the appeal process could take around two months.
In the meantime, Benn could theoretically fight as he has been licensed in the US and might opt to test the Board’s stance with an application to box in the UK with international paperwork.
Benn has denied any wrongdoing. Later on Thursday he posted on Instagram: ‘I’m disappointed at the news of an appeal being made, having already been cleared by both the WBC and the National Anti-Doping Panel to continue my career without any restriction.
‘It was also disappointing to note that the media seemingly knew an appeal was being made before me or my legal team and that there have been further breaches of confidentiality. There is clearly an agenda against me and we have seen that from the start of this process.
‘As I have said before, I am innocent. Nothing has changed and I remain confident in my position. I will not be commenting further while I let the legal process pay out.’