Crawford vs Canelo? Undisputed welterweight champion welcomes mega-fight with super-middleweight king at 158 or 160 pounds: ‘That would be cool’
- Crawford demolished Errol Spence Jnr to become undisputed welterweight king
- Now fans are calling for the Nebraska fight to step up in weight and face Canelo
- DailyMail.com provides all the latest international sports news
After cleaning out his second weight class to make history in boxing, Terence Crawford is plotting a move through the divisions once more.
Crawford demolished Errol Spence Jnr in Las Vegas last month to become the first ever male two-weight undisputed champion of the four-belt era, sweeping up all the marbles at welterweight after already conquering junior-lightweight.
And while Spence was supposed to provide his toughest test yet – at least on paper anyway – there is another undisputed king on a heavier throne who would pose an even bigger challenge: Canelo Alvarez.
The ease at which Crawford picked Spence apart in a fight between two current pound-for-pound masters was breathtaking, so much so that fans are now calling for the Nebraska fighter to move up significantly in weight for a mega-fight with Canelo.
The Mexican currently holds all four world championships at super-middleweight and has even claimed a title at light-heavyweight, meaning it would represent a significant step up.
Terence Crawford (right) has welcomed a potential mega-fight with Canelo Alvarez (left)
Crawford demolished Errol Spence Jnr to become a two-weight undisputed champion
Fans are now calling for the Nebraska fighter to step up in weight and take on Canelo – and Crawford says he would have no problem doing so
Nevertheless, Crawford is ready to make it happen at 160lbs or a catchweight just below the middleweight limit.
When asked if he would entertain a fight with Canelo on The Breakfast Club, Crawford said: ‘We can do something at a catchweight. Probably like 160 or something. 158, 160, that would be cool.’
Host Charlamagne tha God then asked who would come out on top in that proposed match-up, to which he replied: ‘Crawford. Come on man…’
Though despite welcoming a potential showdown with Canelo, Crawford says there have been no discussions for the bout as of yet, with the Guadalajara man instead focusing on his clash with Jermell Charlo next month.
‘No no no,’ Crawford said when asked if talks had been held. ‘You know they already focused on what they got in front of them, that’s Jermell.
‘I would never try to interfere with what they’ve got going on right now.’
Charlo, another undisputed champion who currently reigns supreme at junior-middleweight, has also emerged as a potential opponent for Crawford after the pair were seen exchanging words during his recent victory over Spence.
The welterweight master opened up on their spat on Shawn Porter’s The Porter Way podcast this week, telling his former opponent he called him ‘a b***h a** n****’. Charlo has already thrown down the gauntlet for a grudge match should he shock the world against Canelo.
But Canelo first must get past Jermell Charlo, who holds all four belts at junior-middleweight
Charlo was seen exchanging insults with Crawford during his win over Spence last month
However, Crawford is not expecting that to happen.
‘I got Canelo,’ he said about the September 30 bout. ‘I think it’s gonna be a good fight.
‘I think a lot of people are sleeping on Charlo, but he’s skillful, he’s big – he’s bigger than Canelo even though Canelo’s at a higher weight.
‘Canelo’s gonna be stronger than him, Canelo’s gonna be more powerful than him, but at the same time I think Charlo’s got the skills to make it a competitive fight.
‘Use his jab, straight punches and don’t get caught up with all the faints and stuff that Canelo throws.’