Talks between Whyte and Joshua’s representatives revived last week after the ‘Bodysnatcher’ indicated he is willing to accept Eddie Hearn’s initial proposal.
It came after Hearn had previously affirmed that Whyte had ‘priced himself out of the fight’, which has been proposed for August 12 at the 02 Arena.
However, negotiations have hit another roadblock with Whyte claiming on talkSPORT that a one-way rematch clause is delaying the agreement.
The agreement would allow Joshua to activate a rematch clause should he lose to Whyte, though the ‘Bodysnatcher’ would not have the same opportunity. Whyte would prefer for the fight to be one and done, with the winner going on to fight Deontay Wilder down the line.
Dillian Whyte has slammed Anthony Joshua’s camp for introducing a ‘one-way rematch clause’
Whyte slammed Anthony Joshua and Eddie Hearn, insisting the clause is delaying an agreement for the fight
Whyte said: ‘It’s like this, he (Hearn) said, “We’re gonna send a simple contract,” and then they sent a very complicated contract with a lot of hoops and a lot of hooks to hook me in.
‘I don’t want that, I just want a simple contract, simple fight, winner moves on and has a big fight in Saudi Arabia. This fight for me is about the opportunity, it’s not about the money, that’s why I’m taking the fight for the money they’ve offered me.
‘But now they’re trying to put a rematch clause in there that ties me up for a year and messes everything up, I’m not interested in that. I just want a straightforward fight, winner moves on, that’s it.’
Whyte said the ‘big carrot’ was the prize to fight Deontay Wilder in December in Saudi Arabia, but that the rematch clause could tie him down for another fight with Joshua.
He said that since receiving the contract that his lawyers have gone back to negotiate with Hearn.
In response to claims from Hearn that Joshua could fight a different opponent on June 12 if Whyte doesn’t agree to a contract, the ‘Bodysnatcher’ said: ‘What I don’t like is Eddie’s out there talking nonsense, ‘Oh, we’ve got two other guys waiting to go.’
“Mate, no-one cares, just shut up, no-one cares about who you’ve got ready to go.
“It’s a proper fight, let’s get the fight made, stop talking about all these backup plans.’
Joshua’s camp are also in talks over a potential future fight against American Deontay Wilder
Hearn previously told Boxing Social that Whyte had originally a bout between the pair.
He said: ‘We made an offer to Dillian Whyte four or five weeks ago and they came back, and the exact wording was ‘absolutely not, this is unacceptably low’ and basically nowhere near a number that they’d accept.
‘Now they come out today out of the blue and say, ‘we accept that offer,’ right when we’re about to announce or are in final negotiations with another opponent.
‘We went straight back to Dillian and said, ‘can you confirm that you accept that offer’ and they said ‘yes, we do’ and I said ‘fantastic,’ so we’re getting them a contract.
‘They’ll have a contract today, we need to move at pace but if they’re serious that fight can 100 per cent happen. It’s still the fight that AJ wants for August 12th so again, if Dillian is serious, that fight is going to happen.’
Whyte then rubbished Hearn’s claims, as he told the Sun: ‘They’re talking rubbish. I haven’t turned down the fight.
Joshua defeated Whyte when the pair last fought in the ring back in December 2015
‘All I got, after Eddie talked publicly and often about making me an offer to fight AJ, was a very short email late in the evening on Friday 2 June.
‘I absolutely 100 per cent want to fight AJ and called Eddie to discuss the offer but couldn’t get hold of him. I messaged him too. I didn’t hear back from him so I sent him an email to confirm I wanted the fight.
‘I didn’t turn down the offer or propose a counter-offer. All I did was ask normal questions on his three-line email so-called offer.