Conor Benn’s team make fresh claims of accidental contamination ahead of his UKAD hearing into his failed drugs tests, with the Brit having previously blamed excessive egg consumption
- Conor Benn was charged by UK Anti-Doping last month over failed drug tests
- The welterweight has continued to protest his innocence in the time since
- Benn is facing a potential ban of up to two years if he is found guilty
Conor Benn‘s team have made fresh claims that the fighter’s failed drugs tests were caused by accidental ingestion of a banned substance rather than deliberate cheating.
Benn is facing a potential ban of up to two years by UK Anti-Doping if he is found guilty over his two positive tests for clomifene, which were revealed by Mail Sport in the run up to his proposed fight with Chris Eubank Jr last year.
UKAD confirmed in April that the 26-year-old has been charged and provisionally suspended, though Benn has aggressively maintained his innocence throughout the saga.
Now, a new team of scientists working on his behalf believe they can demonstrate the presence of metabolites of clomifene in his sample are consistent with contamination instead of oral ingestion of the drug and could have been derived from a combination of Benn’s physiology and the consumption of eggs.
Conor Benn has continued to fight his innocence since news of the failed drug tests came out
Benn (C) was charged by UK Anti-Doping over failed drug tests and provisionally suspended
While clomifene is not meant to be used within British farming, some eggs from overseas have made it into supermarkets. Benn has also highlighted a trip he took to Ibiza ahead of testing.
According to a screening conducted by Dr Mohammed Enayat, who has been enlisted by Benn’s team, the boxer’s biology means that he is slow to metabolise clomiphene, suggesting his system stores it longer than most people.
‘Without a question of doubt we’ve proved it’s contamination, 100 per cent,’ Enayat told The Times.